IPUMS API Program Roadmap
These are some thoughts about our future roadmap. These are plans, not promises, and plans will almost certainly change as we gain more experience and user feedback. But here’s what we’re currently thinking!
In 2022 we will be focused on releasing a beta of our Data Extract API for IPUMS USA and IPUMS CPS which will support a subset of IPUMS USA and IPUMS CPS extract requests. If you are interested in USA or CPS microdata via API, please consider joining our beta program for early access.
Medium term directions will partially depend on user feedback. However, we anticipate the following work areas:
- expanding the API user base
- adding support to the Microdata Data Extract API for more of the operations that are available via the website
- investigating whether we can add more data collections’ data to the Data Extract APIs
- continuing development of API client libraries to support more IPUMS APIs
- increasing the scope of the Metadata APIs to support more use cases
- aggregate data streaming APIs
Further into the future, we hope to bring more real-time data streaming and data tabulation APIs to fruition.